365 Days Progress


Day 334 - 91.5% completed!

Day 43 - Beaded Bead (Fringe Method)

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Beaded Bead (Fringe Method)
I'm back to beading a bead again!  This time I am using the "Fringe Method" as explained starting on page 9 of a paper written for the Journal for Mathematics and the Arts, Vol X, No. X, March 2007, xxx-xxx.  The paper entitled "Three-dimensional finite point groups and the symmetry of beaded beads" authored by G. L. Fisher and B. Mellor (I kid you not) the paper which can be found here, is really wild.  I wish I could understand it.  I can't tell you what it says, you'll just have to read it for yourself.  But I will tell you, I plan to study it, look up all the big words, and try to apply the theory.

One thing I could glean from the paper was the fringe method of covering a bead.  Had I known this earlier, I never would have had so much trouble trying to free-form peyote stitch that dang bead a week ago.  This method has you making sort of a flower with fringe, which you drop the bead into and sew it up.

I tried it several times with different size beads and different numbers of "fringes".   Using the fringe method sets a fine stage for later embellishing.  I just let the beads be and will try to do some embellishing at a later date.  But I wanted you to see how cool this was, and how neat and tidy the ends of the bead look.

Very Cool.

Beaded Bead (Fringe Method), conquered!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your kind post about my paper. You can learn more about the fringe method from a free pdf download available here: http://www.beadinfinitum.com/Kits/index.html#spinning_top

    Also, the complete citation for the article is "Three-dimensional finite point groups and the symmetry of Beaded Beads" including cover, coauthored with Blake Mellor, Journal of Mathematics and the Arts, 1(2), June 2007.

    Happy beading,
    :D gwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm honored! Thanks Gwen for the clarification on the paper citation. I've already read it three times, just trying to comprehend! Was never much of a math wiz. Thanks again and your beads are FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so very welcome. I shared your post with my Facebook friends. I hope you'll try some embellishing of your Spinning Tops in the future. I'd love to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! I tried to embellish them a little, but nothing looks right. But I will keep at it. Thanks so much for the comment!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for supporting my project! Please make sure to leave your email address, so I can get back to you! Namaste my friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...